Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Passover, sort of


Well, Passover begins tomorrow at sundown, and we're having neighbors over for a nontraditional dinner which will include some passover items, but not an all-out seder. I'm nonobservant, Eddie was raised protestant in Scotland; so we don't go overboard. I'm pretty sure most of the guys coming over tomorrow haven't had matzo ball soup, so I've already started making that yesterday and mixed up the matzo ball dough this morning and am letting it rest for a few hours before cooking them up. The recipe I'm using is new to me -- SAFFRON CHICKEN BROTH WITH SPINACH MATZO BALLS -- but I'm usually adventurous when it comes to cooking new things for company and it looked good in the magazine. The ingredients were readily available, including a tray of chicken wings from Sam's Club, onions, saffron from the home pantry, and just plain water. Very easy and the aroma is out of this world. Saved the chicken meat, part of which went into the dough for the matzo balls. Also, spinach is included in the dough, which gives them a nice green speckled appearance.

Just as an aside, I think the saffron broth by itself would be spectacular if used in a risotto. I'll have to try that soon. Also, the leftover chicken meat will make a nice chicken salad sandwich.

Also on the menu are Sweet-and-Sour Brisket with Shallots and New Potatoes and Maple-Walnut Espresso Torte for dessert. I am modifying the brisket recipe as follows: instead of brasing them with the brisket, I plan to caramelize the shallots, a la Barefoot Contessa, and roast the new potatoes by themselves. The meat, potatoes, shallots and gravy will all be served together on a platter, and everyone can help themselves.

Thanks to Epicurious.com for this year's Passover menu. They always come through for me. Love the reader comments too.

That's it for now. Will let you know Thursday or so how it all comes out.

No comments: