Friday, August 04, 2006

Curry Chicken


Continuing with our low-carb eating this week, I finished off a value pack of chicken with my favorite curry in the world. This recipe came from 500 Low-Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender. I've made several recipes from the book, but I keep coming back to this one. Believe me, this is just about foolproof and takes about 10 minutes to throw it together. The recipe calls for chicken quarters, which I've used, but since I had on hand boneless/skinless, that's what I used. The sauce is to die for and I always make extra to put over the chicken or, when not watching carbs, over fluffy rice. I used enough sauce to bake the chicken, and then I reduced the remainder in a sauce pan for later, just in case we run out. While in the oven, the sauce reduces, thickens and takes on a nice golden hue. To finish it off, I fire up the broiler to brown the top of the chicken. To finish off the plate, I'll make steamed broccoli. This is about as easy and as good as it gets. Total winner!

Curried Chicken
(adapted from"500 Low-Carb Recipes" by Dana Carpender)

4 or 5 chicken quarters, cut up and skinned (be sure to remove the skin, or else it will turn out limp and flabby)
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 rounded tablespoon curry powder (I prefer Madras brand)
1 cup heavy cream
4 cloves garlic, crushed (or to taste; I use more)
1/2 cup water
(I added: healthy pinch cinnamon, healthy pinch cayenne pepper)

Preheat oven to 375 (350 for boneless breasts)

Arrange chicken in shallow baking pan; chop onion and scattter over the top.

Melt butter in skillet and saute curry powder a couple of minutes, until fragrant.

Mix together and pour over the chicken the cream, garlic, water and sauteed curry powder.

Bake uncovered 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes (less for boneless), turning the chicken every 20 minutes so the sauce flavors both sides.

Arrange chicken on platter.

Pour sauce into blender and blend until smooth. Add more cream or water if necessary to get smooth consistency. Check for seasonings.

Serves 4
5 net carbs, 42 grams protein per serving

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now this sounds really delicious. Of course anything with heavy cream works for me! :)