Tuesday, August 29, 2006

New Favorite PBS Cooking Show - Joanne Weir's Cooking Class


My new favorite cooking show is Joanne Weir's Cooking Class, now showing on PBS channels. The first episode I've seen focused on basic risotto techniques. This series features a student cooking alongside Joanne, which is a bit different from a lot of shows. Joanne's bubbly personality comes through in her casual and straightforward teaching style. Techniques are explained and shown so that a beginner cook will not be intimidated. In fact, there were things to be learned, even for experienced cooks such as myself. For example, when the risotto is done, Joanne recommends covering the pot and letting it sit off heat for five minutes to completely absorb the remaining stock. I've set the DVR box to record all the episodes so I won't miss any of them. Like I need one more cooking show to watch! Actually, I do because the Food Network has mostly reruns and the newer shows don't really interest me because they seem to be more lifestyle and travelogue type programs which I can get on other channels. Heads up, Food Network! You're losing a longtime watcher here if you don't shape up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do wish Food Network would wake up. But as long as other channels offer good programming then I suppose it's ok with me :)

I do love Joanne Wier and now I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this show!

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

I agree about the Food Network (I love food but I find it unwatchable). That said, I haven't seen Wier's show so I will definitely check it out.

Anonymous said...

Wier's new show is great. The show you write about is the first in the series, the second show shown this weekend was just as great. I agree, the Food Network needs to forget the lifestyle travel show thing and get back to what food tv should be about...PBS and others are getting a cutting edge over them, at their own game. Hope somebody there is listening! Great Blog..David in Maryland