Friday, August 15, 2008

Perfect Parmesan Popovers


This recipe was inspired by one I've had in my files for a while. It's a Barefoot Contessa recipe, and I usually trust those. I added about a quarter cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese, but otherwise stuck to her directions. I'm not sure how Ina measured her ingredients, but there's no way this recipe would yield 12 popovers. I got nine, and next time I'd fill the cups even more to get eight larger ones (like the picture above). But that's my only criticism because they were delicious! Can't wait to make another batch. I'm lucky enough to have two six-cup popover pans, but these can be made in muffin tins or custard cups. They can be varied depending on the cheese used or even fresh herbs added. Or even adding some pureed garlic. Ohhh, I can taste that one now.

Popovers
Copyright 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!
Yield: 12 popovers (I got 9)

Ina says: There are 3 secrets to great popovers: Make sure the pan is hot before you pour in the batter, fill each section not more than half full, and no peeking while they’re in the oven!


1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus softened butter for greasing pans
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
(added about ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Generously grease aluminum popover pans or Pyrex custard cups with softened butter. You’ll need enough pans to make 12 popovers. (Only enough batter for 9) Place the pans in the oven for exactly 2 minutes to preheat. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter (and cheese) until smooth. The batter will be thin. Fill the popover pans less than half full and bake for exactly 30 minutes. Do not peek.

1 comment:

Lunch Buckets said...

Those are gorgeous!